Tenant FAQs


Common Questions

Am I allowed to have pets?

It is hard to say. If you want to have pets, please ask permission before buying a pet, or before signing a lease if you already own a pet. Some landlords might be ok with pets in their property, others might not. 

Bond and payment

A bond is a sum of money usually paid to the landlord, at the start of your tenancy. By law, if your landlord asks you to pay a bond it must be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) and held by the RTBA until your tenancy ends. It is still your money and does not belong to the landlord.

* Usually, the bond is no more than one month’s rent.

Where can I find some help if I have a problem with my landlord that cannot be resolved?

We recommend you have a deep talk with your property manager first to try and resolve your problem. But if you have a problem with your landlord that you cannot resolve, you can apply to Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (https://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/).


Before Renting

What is the process of renting a property?

  1. Choose a property
  2. Inspect a property
  3. Submit an application
  4. Wait for landlord’s approval
  5. Sign the agreement and pay the bond
  6. Check condition report
  7. Move-in

What documents should I provide when I make an application?

We recommend you to provide this information which will help you have a higher chance to get approval:

  • income
  • bank account details
  • previous rental history
  • employment details and history
  • references
DuringQuesImg Indoor2

During Renting

Can rent be increased? If yes, how often can it be increased?

The rent cannot be increased during the fixed-term lease agreement unless the agreement has written provisions. In that case, If you enter into a new fixed-term or fixed-term lease agreement on or after June 19, 2019, the interval between each increase in rent must be at least 12 months. And the landlord must notify you of the rent increase in writing 60 days in advance.


Can I ask the landlord for repairs and who will pay the bill?

You can tell the landlord or property manager if anything needs repair. Tell them as soon as possible, especially if not fixing the problem could cause more damage. It’s best to tell them in writing and keep a copy. If repairs are required due to damage caused by you, you may have to pay for repairs, you can also arrange repairs by yourself in this case. 

Usually, the landlord has 14 days to repair after you tell them about it. But if it urgent, they have to fix things as soon as possible. If the landlord does not deal with urgent repairs quickly, you can apply to VCAT and they will hear your case in 2 business days. Urgent repairs include:

  • a burst water service
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance provided for water, hot water, cooking, heating or doing laundry
  • a failure or breakdown in any appliance or fitting supplied by the landlord that will result in a large amount of water being wasted
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
  • a serious fault in a lift or staircase
  • any fault or damage that makes the premises unsafe or not secure

Can the landlord or agent enter my home?

They can have the rights of entry only in certain situations, like inspection, showing the property to a prospective tenant, valuing the property, and so on.

If they want to enter your home, they must give you the notice before 24 hours with a valid reason. Once they give the proper notice and get permission from you, they can enter the property even if the time doesn’t suit you or you won’t be home. However, you can negotiate a time with them which suits you better.

Is an assignment or sub-letting allowed?

Yes, you can. Before doing this, you need to get permission from the landlord. However, the landlord cannot unreasonably decline this application. A landlord or agent cannot charge a fee for consenting to an assignment or sublease. If they do, you can apply to Tribunal for help. But If you assign or sub-let without permission, the landlord can give you a 14-day Notice to Vacate and apply to the Tribunal to let you leave.

Clean GiveKey

Ending Renting

What should I do when my leasing agreement is going to expire?

If you want to renew the agreement, ask the property manager first, they will give you more details.

If you want to move out, you must leave the property in a reasonably clean condition. If you installed any furniture or decoration, please remove them all and restore the property to its original condition. If possible, take photos after you have cleared it. You are supposed to return the key before the expiration day if you want to make an extension, please notify your landlord and property manager first. If everything goes well, you should get your bond back in 10 business days.

When can I get my bond back?

At the end of the tenancy, you and the landlord can decide how the bond should be paid out. You can agree that the bond is returned to you in full, or that part or all of the bond be paid to the landlord based on the property condition.

The bond should be returned within 10 business days if you and the landlord can reach an agreement on final inspection and bond claim. If you and the landlord cannot agree, the landlord or agent must apply to the Tribunal within 10 business days of the end of your tenancy. The landlord cannot claim any money from your bond without your agreement or without an order from the Tribunal.

Can I break the lease early?

Yes, you can, but it is not recommended. By breaking the lease, you will need to pay a lot of extra fees. In Victoria, the landlord can ask tenants that break the lease to pay one month’s rent for every full year remaining on the lease. This is capped at six years, so the maximum amount the landlord can ask for is six months’ rent. This is based on the rent amount you were paying when you broke the lease. If you do want to do so, please contact your property manager first, they can provide you more details and help you end the lease. 


Still have questions? Please contact us

Trouble shooting



    Problem Cause                                    




  •  Smoke Detector:

            Emitting intermmitent

            beeing sound/light


    Battery Low  -     Check the battery, it may need replacing
  •  Power failure

    1. Tripped at the

        meter board

    2. Your supplier

 1. Tripped at the meter board

 -     First check the switchboard.

 -     Has the safety switch tripped to the off position? If so, reset.

 -     If the problem persists, you may have a faulty appliance.

       Ensure all appliance are off and try again.

 -     If the power trips out again, consult an electrical contractor.

       (or Snowdon Development within

       the 3 month maintenance period)


 2. Your supplier

 -     If the power failure appears to be caused by the supplier,

       surrounding buildings may also be blacked out.

 -     Contact the supplier and enquire as to any faults in your

       area and the estimate time for supply to resume.

  •  Supplied Appliance
    Not working

 -     Check the circuit breakers area in the on position.

 -     If not, reset and try the appliance.

 -     If the fault persists, refer to the operating manual. You

       may need to refer the problem to the manufactuer's

       service agent under your warranty (most appliances are 

       covered for 1 year).

  •  Supplied Appliance
    General faults

 -     Refer to the instruction manual and warranty details

       covering the appliance.

  •  Plumbing:

            Cistern does not fill

    No water supply

 -     Check the stopcock is turned on and water is entering


 -     During the warranty period contact Snowdon Development.

 -     After the period contact your plumber.

  •  Plumbing:

            Overflowing into pan

    Water level may

    be too high

 -     Bail float may be jamming.

 -     Adjustment of float arm required.

 -     Inlet valve rubber may not be sealing, debris may have

       gathered under the seal. Clear debris and replace.

 -     Inlet valve rubber may need replacing.

 -     During the warranty period contact Snowdon Development.

 -     After this period contact your plumber.

  •  Locks
    Defective Lock

 -     Contact your property manager if it's in the business hours

       and for emergency,

       please contact your local lock smith. 


Find us on Facebook Find us on Instagram Visit our YouTube channel Find us on Linkedin